Published 1 hour ago on 04 August 2018
KUALA LUMPUR, Aug 4 — The government is set to launch the national car project 3.0 by 2020 as envisioned by Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohammad.
Entrepreneur Development Minister Mohd Redzuan Yusof said the current government believed that the move could revitalise the national automotive industry.
“We attempt to revive and grow the industry due to its tremendous potential. Besides, auto component manufacturing is also one of the sectors that drives small and medium enterprises (SMEs),” he told reporters on the sidelines of the TOC Automotive College Convocation Ceremony here, today.
Earlier in his speech, Mohd Redzuan said the government needed the support of the industry, as well as knowledge, skilled and talented graduates to succeed the dream.
“In the past, we tried to grow the automotive industry by creating our own car, but obviously, we need to work on the timeline.
“This had put a lot of challenges that we see today where Proton has been compromised,” he said.
Hence, Mohd Redzuan said the government would refine and improve from “what and where went wrong” (in Proton).
Dr Mahathir reaffirmed his aspiration of building the third national car project during his visit to Japan in June after the Pakatan Harapan won the 14th general election on May 9 this year.
The Prime Minister was reported as saying that the government was looking at building the national car 3.0 after Proton and Perodua, as his brainchild, Proton forged a strategic partnership with China’s Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co (Geely) in May, last year.
Mohd Redzuan said the government could also be the facilitator for automotive graduates to undergo job training in Japan.
“We are more than happy to facilitate and we have automotive counterparts in Japan who are willing to accept our graduates for job training there,” he said, adding that the move could help the local automotive industry thrive and become more resilient, especially in the car component manufacturing sector.
The automotive sector contributed four per cent to the country’s gross domestic product in 2017. — Bernama
Indonesia to hand over Jho Low's yacht to Malaysia
Published 22 minutes ago on 04 August 2018
KUALA LUMPUR — Indonesia has agreed to hand over to Malaysia a US$250 million (RM1.02 billion) luxury yacht linked to a corruption scandal at a Malaysian state fund that it impounded in Bali earlier this year, Indonesian authorities said today.
The Cayman Islands-flagged Equanimity was seized in February at the request of US authorities as part of a multi-billion dollar corruption investigation launched by the Department of Justice (DOJ) related to 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).
An Indonesian court ruling in April declared that the yacht was wrongfully impounded and should be released to its owners.
Indonesian police seized the boat again in July following a formal request for legal assistance from the United States. Indonesian police said they would hand the yacht over to Malaysia but did not specify when.
“The yacht will be handed over at the border between Indonesia and Malaysia’s waters,” Daniel Silitonga, the deputy for economic and special crimes, told Reuters over a text message.
“We have to maintain the good relations between the two countries,” he said, adding that the yacht is currently on the waters close to the border of Singapore and the Indonesian island of Batam.
A source had also told Reuters yesterday that the decision to hand the yacht to Malaysia was reached following a personal request made by new Malaysian Prime Minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad.
Mahathir’s office did not reply to a Reuters request for comment.
Mahathir, 93, visited Indonesia in June, his first official visit in the region after returning to power in a surprise election win over Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
1MDB, founded by Najib, is at the centre of money-laundering probes in at least six countries, including the United States, Switzerland and Singapore. A total of US$4.5 billion was misappropriated from 1MDB by high-level officials of the fund and their associates, according to civil lawsuits filed by the DOJ. Najib has denied wrongdoing.
Malaysian financier Low Taek Jho is seen as a central figure in the scandal. According to the lawsuits, Low used proceeds diverted from 1MDB to procure Equanimity, a 300-ft (91-m) yacht registered in the Cayman Islands.
The US$250 million vessel is said to have an interior clad in marble and gold leaf, a spa and sauna, a 20-metre swimming pool on deck, a movie theater, a lift and a helipad.
Malaysian authorities are seeking to arrest Low, whose whereabouts are unknown. His Malaysian passport was revoked and an arrest warrant has been issued against him. — Reuters
PKR’s Zawawi in comfortable lead in Sungai Kandis poll
Published 9 minutes ago on 04 August 2018
By Yiswaree Palansamy
SHAH ALAM, Aug 4 — PKR is currently in first place in the three-way race for the Sungai Kandis state seat against the Barisan Nasional (BN) and a mystery independent candidate.
The Pakatan Harapan component party’s candidate Mohd Zawawi Ahmad Mughni drew 10,951 votes against BN’s Datuk Lokman Noor Adam, who secured 6,470, while independent K. Murthy scored 71 votes.
MORE TO COME
Indonesia bersetuju untuk menyerahkan kapal mewah bernilai AS$250 juta yang diimpaun di Bali pada awal tahun ini yang dikaitkan dengan skandal rasuah 1MDB, kata pihak berkuasa Indonesia hari ini.
UMNO ingat pengundi sekarang bodoh ... hahaha
Semoga Negara kita menjadi "BALDATTUN TOYYIBATUN WAROBBUN GHOFUR".